Connect with us

Uncategorized

Rangnick explains Mason Greenwood’s surprise withdrawal vs Wolves

Published

on


‘Not outstanding’: Ralf Rangnick explains Mason Greenwood’s surprise early withdrawal vs Wolves

 

Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick has, on Monday night, provided an explanation for his decision to haul Mason Greenwood off prematurely against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Moutinho’s strike the difference

Greenwood and co. were of course back in action earlier this evening.

In the club’s latest Premier League outing, the Red Devils welcomed the aforementioned Wolves to Old Trafford, eyeing a 2nd win on the bounce.

When all was said and done, however, United were brought firmly back down to earth, by a visiting outfit fully deserving of their eventual three-point haul.

After dominating throughout, Wolves finally found an all-important winner inside the closing ten minutes of action, when Phil Jones’ clearance was pounced upon by Joao Moutinho, to pick out the far corner of David de Gea’s net from the edge of the area:

‘Mason or Edi’

In turn, on the back of not only a disappointing result but, above all, performance on the part of their side this evening, the ensuing post-match backlash on the part of the Manchester United faithful proved largely predictable.

Boss Ralf Rangnick was one individual to come in for heavy criticism, owing to a frankly questionable tactical setup on both sides of the ball.

One decision in particular on the part of the German even saw boos ring around Old Trafford, as Mason Greenwood, who had looked the hosts’ sole creative spark to that point, was hooked inside the hour mark.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, Rangnick was therefore inevitably drawn on his call to haul off United’s gifted young wide-man prematurely.

And the former RB Leipzig chief went on to provide a full explanation, admitting that, though Greenwood was ‘one of the better players’ (albeit ‘not outstanding’) on the day, the 20-year-old was ultimately substituted to ensure that the more advanced Edinson Cavani could remain on the pitch:

‘The question was shall I take off Mason or shall I take off Edi, that was the question. We decided to keep Edi as the more offensive, the more striker of the two on the pitch. I take off Mason, that was my call.’

‘We could also have done it in a different way but it shows how highly how the fans like Mason as a homegrown player and, as I said, his effort and performance was not outstanding but at least he was one of the better players today.’

 

Manchester United to meet with agent of striker following Wolves game

The latest step Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo is taking to maintain top fitness

 


Manchester United betting odds, next game:

Manchester United’s latest videos

Goal of the Month: December | McTominay, Fred, Greenwood, Garnacho & More | Manchester United


Goal of the Month: December | McTominay, Fred, Greenwood, Garnacho & More | Manchester United

Take a look at the ten nominees for Manchester United’s Goal of the Month…

2022-01-02T16:30:10Z

Manager's Press Conference | Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers | Ralf Rangnick


Manager’s Press Conference | Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers | Ralf Rangnick

Hear from Ralf Rangnick ahead of United’s first match of 2022 as the Reds…

2022-01-02T14:00:09Z

Manchester United latest news

Premier League table

# Team MP D P
1 Manchester City 21 40 53
2 Chelsea FC 21 29 43
3 Liverpool FC 20 34 42
4 Arsenal FC 20 8 35
5 West Ham United 20 10 34
6 Tottenham Hotspur 18 3 33
7 Manchester United 18 4 31
8 Brighton & Hove Albion 19 0 27
9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 18 -1 25
10 Leicester City 18 -2 25
11 Crystal Palace 20 -1 23
12 Brentford FC 19 -3 23
13 Aston Villa 19 -5 22
14 Southampton FC 19 -9 21
15 Everton FC 18 -9 19
16 Leeds United 19 -16 19
17 Watford FC 18 -14 13
18 Burnley FC 17 -11 11
19 Newcastle United 19 -23 11
20 Norwich City 19 -34 10
Player Team Goals
Salah, Mohamed Liverpool FC 16
Jota, Diogo Liverpool FC 10
Vardy, Jamie Leicester City 9
Dennis, Emmanuel Watford FC 8
Antonio, Michail West Ham United 8
Ronaldo, Cristiano Manchester United 8
Son, Heung Min Tottenham Hotspur 8
Smith-Rowe, Emile Arsenal FC 8
Mane, Sadio Liverpool FC 8
Raphinha Leeds United 8
Mount, Mason Chelsea FC 7
Sterling, Raheem Manchester City 7
Maupay, Neal Brighton & Hove Albion 7
Silva, Bernardo Manchester City 7
Mahrez, Riyad Manchester City 6
Saka, Bukayo Arsenal FC 6
Gallagher, Conor Crystal Palace 6
Jorginho Chelsea FC 6
Wilson, Callum Newcastle United 6
Cornet, Maxwel Burnley FC 6





Source link

Uncategorized

Everton respond to FFP threat after Leeds & Burnley write to Premier League

Published

on

By


Everton issue response to FFP threat after Leeds & Burnley write to Premier League

 

Everton have issued an official response, amid concerns that major problems could be on the horizon at the club, owing to a series of breaches of Financial Fair Play.

For those not aware, on Friday evening, it was revealed that both Leeds United and Burnley recently wrote to the Premier League, to essentially accuse those in a position of power at Goodison Park of overstepping their financial constraints in a major way.

This of course came with the three clubs, at the time, having been embroiled in a tense battle against relegation from the top-flight of English football.

As per the rules laid out by FFP, no club is permitted to post losses in excess of £105 million over the course of a rolling three-year period, or risk facing potentially serious punishment.

Everton, however, are understood to have recorded a loss of £371.8 million over the last three years.

Everton issue response to FFP threat after Leeds & Burnley write to Premier League

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND – MAY 19: Dominic Calvert-Lewin celebrates after scoring during the Premier League match between Everton and Crystal Palace at Goodison Park on May 19, 2022 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Even with the Toffees’ £170 million deficit across the length of the pandemic having been written off as part of a league-wide agreement, this would steal leave the Merseyside club alarmingly in excess of the allowable losses alluded to above.

In a joint-letter to the powers that be at the Financial Fair Play offices, Leeds and Burnley, last week, therefore expressed their understandable bewilderment with precisely why Everton had not been subjected to any form of punishment.

‘Their decision’

And now, late on Friday, the powers that be at Goodison have issued their response.

Fresh off securing their top-flight status for another season, in a short statement cited by Goal, the Toffees have assured all associated with the club that they have fully ‘complied with the rules’, hinting that they are altogether unconcerned by the threat of legal action:

“We have worked closely with the Premier League to make sure we are compliant. We are comfortable we have complied with the rules.

“External auditors have told us what we can and cannot claim against the pandemic. If clubs want to take legal action that’s their decision.”

 

Arsenal vs Everton betting tips: Premier League preview, predictions and odds

The percentage chance of Liverpool winning the Premier League, Arsenal finishing 4th & Leeds staying up

 


Everton betting odds, next game:

Arsenal vs Everton odds: result, both teams to score, correct score & goalscorers



Source link

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Barcelona set sights on Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry

Published

on

By


Barcelona turn attentions to 2nd Bayern Munich star ahead of summer

 

Word stemming from the Spanish media on Friday suggests that Barcelona are expressing a keen interest in a 2nd member of the attacking ranks of Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

The player in question? Serge Gnabry.

As per a report from the reliable Cat Radio, Xavi Hernandez and co. have identified Gnabry as a prime target to reinforce the club’s frontline with a view to the 2022/23 campaign.

This comes with the German international potentially set to be available at a cut price, having refused to put pen to paper on fresh terms ahead of the expiration of his contract in Bavaria in 12 months’ time.

Even more likely, though, is the possibility of Gnabry landing at the Camp Nou as a free agent in the summer of 2023.

Barcelona turn attentions to 2nd Bayern Munich star ahead of summer

MUNICH, GERMANY – MARCH 05: Serge Gnabry is challenged by Jeremie Frimpong during the Bundesliga match between FC Bayern München and Bayer 04 Leverkusen at Allianz Arena on March 05, 2022 in Munich, Germany. (Photo by Alex Grimm/Getty Images)

The former Arsenal star’s future is understood to be linked with that of Ousmane Dembele, with moves for both Gnabry and Leeds United star Raphinha on the cards in the case that the Frenchman opts to move on next month.

Barca directors Mateu Alemany and Jordi Cruyff, in turn, are understood to have made contact with the representatives of the Bayern winger, to obtain a better understanding of the likelihood of a deal being struck.

Lewa eyed

Word of Barcelona’s potential swoop for Gnabry of course comes with the Catalan giants also widely reported to be lining up a deal for another key member of Julian Nagelsmann’s Bayern Munich squad, in the form of Robert Lewandowski.

With ‘Lewa’ himself having made clear his intention to seek pastures new this summer, the board at the Camp Nou have positioned themselves front and centre to take advantage of the situation.

And such endeavours could well be primed to bear imminent fruit, amid suggestions in Spain this week that Pini Zahavi, the Pole’s agent, paid a visit to Barca’s official store, to purchase no fewer than ten jerseys, all with Lewandowski’s name emblazoned across the back.

 

Robert Lewandowski’s agent drops major hint over Barcelona switch

Barcelona vs Villarreal betting tips: La Liga preview, predictions and odds

 






Source link

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Major concern for Fulham as Solomon deal ‘on verge of collapse’

Published

on

By


Major concern for Fulham as Solomon deal ‘on verge of collapse’

 

Concern is no doubt spreading at Premier League-bound Fulham on Friday, amid claims that the club’s deal for Manor Solomon is primed to come up short at the last.

For those not aware, it had long been viewed as a formality that gifted attacker Solomon was primed for a summer switch to Craven Cottage.

This 22-year-old is understood to have been identified as the ideal replacement for the outbound Fabio Carvalho, set to take his talents to Anfield with Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool ahead of the new season.

On the back of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Fulham, in turn, quickly swooped to strike what was understood to be a deal worth around £7 million with Shakhtar Donetsk.

Multiple outlets went as far as to state that the transfer was therefore as good as done, with the Cottagers set to add proven attacking quality to their ranks ahead of a season back in the top-flight of English football.

Major concern for Fulham as Solomon deal ‘on verge of collapse’

MADRID, SPAIN – NOVEMBER 03: Manor Solomon looks on during the UEFA Champions League group D match between Real Madrid and Shakhtar Donetsk at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on November 03, 2021 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Diego Souto/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)

As alluded to above, though, if the latest word doing the rounds online on Friday evening is anything to go by, then Marco Silva and co, in fact, look set for something of a blow when it comes to their plans moving forward.

This comes amid mounting claims that the club’s deal for Solomon is on the verge of collapse.

As per transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, ‘serious issues’ have arisen at the last, with rival clubs, in turn, have reemerged in the race for the Israeli international’s signature.

 

Emotional departures await: 11 players waving goodbye to their Premier League club on Sunday

The percentage chance of Liverpool winning the Premier League, Arsenal finishing 4th & Leeds staying up

 






Source link

Continue Reading

Trending