Connect with us

Academy Match Reports

Academy Match Report: Manchester United u18s 3-0 Derby County u18s – Man United News And Transfer News



Manchester United’s u18s were in action on Saturday hosting Derby County at Carrington in their last match before the all-important FA Youth Cup final on the 11th of May.

United started the match on top with Joe Hugill running the channels in the opening minutes and creating a chance for Ethan Ennis to cut in from the left but the winger’s strike sailed over the bar.

Ennis and Hugill were linking up again shortly later as Ennis played Hugill down the left for the striker to cross into the box. A well-timed interception from the defender cut out Hugill’s ball but sent it right back to him to unleash a rifled volley at goal only kept out by a phenomenal save.

Seconds later and another big chance came United’s way as Omari Forson crossed into the box for Ennis to flick towards goal from close range but couldn’t manage to slip it by the keeper.

In the 21st minute United’s throw-in from the left picked out Forson who turned at the edge of the box and looked to curl into the far corner but the keeper would parry straight into the path of Manni Norkett to tap into the open net and give United the lead.

Minutes later Forson danced inside with a step over before playing the reverse pass to Hugill on the right who shot near the side forcing the keeper to tip round for a corner.

In the 32nd Hugill split the defenders to play through Norkett on the right but his lifted effort went over the bar as he looked to catch the keeper out.

Moments later Kobbie Mainoo did well to keep the ball inbounds in the left corner before bursting by two defenders and laying it off to Ennis who side-footed wide of the left post.

The first half came to a close with the score remarkably still only 1-0 despite the fact United could have easily had many more.

The second half saw Ennis continue to be lively down the left-wing as his cross into the centre missed everyone but fell to Norkett at the back post to smash low but was denied by a De Gea esque save with the keeper’s feet.

Charlie McNeill came off the bench in the 59th minute with Sam Mather and the duo made an immediate impact.

Mainoo drove at the heart of Derby, holding off multiple tackles before laying it off to Mather who got a lucky bounce off the defender to set up McNeill for an easy tap in to double the lead.

Five minutes later, Mather was playing provider again when he turned on the edge of the box and found McNeill open on the right who tried to curl with the outside of his right boot but couldn’t get enough around it leading to a routine save for the keeper.

Roles reversed in the 84th minute when McNeill latched onto a long ball into the left channel and squared for Mather to slot home at the back post from five yards out to seal the victory.

The win brings United into third place with the season’s last match in two weeks against Nottingham Forest but not before the host the same side in the FA Youth Cup final.

United: Wooster, Lawrence, Aljofree, Jackson, Murray, Oyedele, Mainoo, Norkett (Mather 59), Forson (Collyer 59), Ennis, Hugill (McNeill 59)

Unused subs: Polakowski, Pye

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Academy Match Reports

Player ratings: Manchester United u18s 3-1 Nottingham Forest u18s – FA Youth Cup Final – Man United News And Transfer News




Manchester United’s u18s brought home silverware to Old Trafford to bring the supporters some joy at the end of the season as they defeated Nottingham Forest in the FA Youth Cup final.

Here are our player ratings for the match:

(A score of 6 is around average)

Radek Vitek – 5 – Made a terrible mistake for Forest’s goal and was shaky with his distributions.

Marc Jurado – 8 – Made several strong tackles and very important blocks at the back. Was also often the only defender capable of playing out from the back but didn’t venture too far forward often.

Rhys Bennett – 8.5 – A proper old school centre half performance with no frills on the ball but dominant in the air and some important last-ditch blocks. Capped off with a goal and almost a second.

Louis Jackson – 7 – Did well stepping up from the u16s on such a big occasion and got to grips with the physicality as the match went on.

Sam Murray – 6.5 – Provided the assist for the match’s opener and was decent overall but had a tough time with Josh Powell causing havoc down his wing.

Dan Gore – 7 – Quite a first half trying to deal with Forest’s packed midfield but picked up in the second half with some good passing.

Kobbie Mainoo – 7 – Not his best performance and couldn’t stamp his control in the first half but still provided his driving runs in the midfield.

Sam Mather – 6.5 – Had decent moments but drifted through the match too much.

Isak Hansen-Aaroen – 6.5 – Some moments of absolute quality on the ball and won the free kick for the first goal. But struggled with the physicality at times and couldn’t apply himself consistently over the match.

Alejandro Garnacho – 8 – Electric pace on show to pounce on loose balls to win the penalty and when scoring the third. But needs better decision making and less selfishness to round out his performance.

Charlie McNeill – 6 – Struggled to get involved and impose himself with Forest’s physical centre backs.


Maxi Oyedele – 7.5 – Came in and added some needed physicality in the midfield allowing the team to gain more control of the match.

Joe Hugill – 7 – Didn’t get on the ball much but was so important with his pressing that led to the turnover for the second goal and unsettled Forest’s solid backline.

Aljofree – 6 – Came on in the dying minutes and helped shore up the back.

Source link

Continue Reading

Academy Match Reports

FA Youth Cup Final Match Report: Manchester United u18s 3-1 Nottingham Forest u18s – Man United News And Transfer News




With over 67,000 in the crowd at Old Trafford, the FA Youth Cup final against Nottingham Forest marked the biggest stage of Manchester United’s u18s careers so far.

Kobbie Mainoo kicked off the action with some clever footwork to get into the box and shoot into the keeper’s arms in the opening minute.

Up the other end, Forest came agonisingly close to taking the lead in the 3rd minute when their skipper rose on the corner to head just inches wide.

In the 12th minute, Isak Hansen-Aaroen won a free kick after a mazy technical run, beating several defenders before being taken down.

Sam Murray clipped the free kick into the area for United’s skipper, Rhys Bennett, to flick on and the Forest keeper couldn’t deal with the bounce on the ball as he palmed it into the goal to give United an early lead.

Later in the half, some good team play ended with Marc Jurado finding Hansen-Aaroen on the edge of the box to take the ball on the turn and open space for the shot but a good block from the defender took the power out of the Norwegian’s effort allowing for an easy save in the end.

Mainoo drove his way into the box and fumbled the ball to Alejandro Garnacho who dragged his shot all the way out for a throw-in.

Late in the half and Forest pulled back a deserved equaliser from a disaster mistake by Radek Vitek.

Josh Powell cut in from the right and struck on his dominant left foot into the bottom right corner which should have been saved by Vitek but it fumbled straight through his hands and into the goal as the United defenders rushed to console the disappointed keeper.

Charlie McNeill raced down the left beating a tight offside line but his whipped cross flashed across the goal unable to find a teammate and went out the opposite side of the pitch to mark the end of the first half.

Forest started the second half quickly with a big chance as they cut back from the byline for a strike from 8 yards out but Jurado and Bennett were on hand to combine to block the shot.

Minutes after Hansen-Aaroen was showing his quality with another Ronaldinho-Esque elastico to get into the box and cut back for McNeill but it was just out of his reach and then Mainoo tried to pounce on the open ball but swung and only got air.

In the 50th minute, a pile driver from Jurado at the right corner of the box could only be parried out for a corner by the keeper. The resulting corner was cleared to the waiting Garnacho at the edge of the box to shoot off the defender and over the bar.

Struggling with the physicality of the Forest side, Travis Binnion introduced Maxi Oyedele and Joe Hugill in the 64th minute to get a better grip on the cagey affair.

Bennett almost added a second as he powered a header down towards the right corner but a timely block from the Forest defender denied the United captain from restoring the lead.

Minutes later, Forest slipped up trying to play out from the back under Hugill’s press allowing Garnacho to race in and steal the ball away only to be taken down just outside the box.

But luck was in United’s favour as the referee got it completely wrong and awarded a penalty. Garnacho stepped up and calmly dispatched just right of the centre of the goal.

With eight minutes of added time, Garnacho ran at the heart of the Forest backline and had Oyedele open on his left but went for the strike himself from 18 yards and soared it over the bar.

A minute later and a mistake from the Forest defender allowed Garnacho to snatch the ball again and run into the box and with a cut onto his right and back to his left the Argentinean struck off the defender and the deflection cannoned into the net to seal the victory.

The win saw United lift the coveted FA Youth Cup trophy for the first time since 2011 in front of a record crowd.

United: Vitek, Jurado, Bennett, Jackson, Murray, Mainoo, Gore, Mather (Aljofree 86), Hansen-Aaroen (Oyedele 64), Garnacho, McNeill (Hugill 64)

Unused subs: Wooster, Pye, Ennis, Forson

Source link

Continue Reading

Academy Match Reports

Academy Match Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers u18s 2-2 Manchester United u18s – Man United News And Transfer News




Manchester United’s u18s were in action on Wednesday away to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Just 16 hours after their match against Blackburn, Travis Binnion was forced to field a completely new starting XI to handle the extreme fixture congestion.

The rotated side looked to get on the front foot early as Isak Hansen-Aaroen feinted and charged through the midfield before laying it out wide for Sam Mather but the winger’s cross was too close to the keeper who was able to collect.

It was Hansen-Aaroen leading the charge again moments later when intercepted in the midfield and drove at the Wolves defence to set up Charlie McNeill for a shot on the right side of the box which was tipped over the bar.

The in-form Ethan Ennis joined the action looking to score one of these trademark goals as he cut in from the left and rifled an effort just inches wide.

Just before the break, a great counterattack looked to give United the lead after Ennis bundled home the rebound from Mather’s attempt with a clever backheel but the ref was to call it off due to offside.

Despite being the more dangerous side in the first 45, United had to settle for going into the half at 0-0.

The second half saw Wolves come out with a new lease of life almost taking a quick lead when Nathan Fraser played a teasing ball across the six-yard box which only needed to be tapping into the open net but the sliding Owen Farmer couldn’t get enough contact on it to guide it towards goal.

Seconds later, Fraser wouldn’t make the same mistake though and gave Wolves the lead. Tom Wooster came charging out of his goal to close down Farmer on the wing but couldn’t get there in time allowing Fraser to receive the cross and slot it into an open net.

After playing through United’s press Fraser was played in behind the backline to run in and finish past Wooster to double the Wolves lead in the 53rd minute.

It was almost another immediately after when Fraser held off Marc Jurado and turned to set up Farmer but a big save from Wooster kept United in it.

The 75th minute saw the introduction of Toby Collyer for his first appearance with the club after his signing in March.

United pulled one after Hansen-Aaroen slid in to win back possession at the edge of the Wolves area and the ball was played out to James Nolan who slid in a low cross for McNeill to take with a brilliant turn before smashing into the bottom corner with his left boot.

Chasing the equaliser until the dying moments it was in injury time when McNeill popped up again to save the day with his second on the day. A perfectly weighted through ball from the u16 Adam Berry allowed McNeill to come onto the ball in stride and finish into the left corner.

A late winner was almost on the cards as well when Nolan crossed for Mather to hit but he couldn’t keep the ball down as it soared into the stands.

The match ended 2-2 leaving United tied for third place with two matches left in the season.

United: Pye, Aljofree, Jurado, Lawrence (Nolan 62), Oyedele (Collyer 75), Curley, Ennis (Berry 62), Hansen-Aaroen, Mather, McNeill

Unused Subs: Hanbury

Source link

Continue Reading